12 January, 2015

TO THE TRUTH I NEVER KNEW, NOW I CAN MAKE IT WITHOUT YOU

HAPPY MONDAY!



Firstly, thank you so much for taking this journey with me to find out more about livestock production and the impacts we are making through unconscious everyday decisions. I enjoyed writing this blog much more than I expected, and I am so thankful for having the chance to give it a go. Whilst you may have learnt a lot from this blog, it has been a learning curve for me too, and I've constantly been growing as I learn more about the information I'm digging out.

Although this is the end of my Geography assessment, but I would really appreciate it if you left me any comments with your thoughts and if you have any great website links for me to learn even more! I would LOVE to read it!

So, into the nitty gritty stuff, I'm going to just briefly outline the main solutions to the meat problem.

1. Government

The government needs to find ways to discourage major producers from rearing livestock near city areas through either zoning, taxes or incentives. For example, in Thailand, there are high taxes on poultry production within a 100km radius of Bangkok. This has been effective in reducing poultry production near Bangkok.

2. Waste management

Use manure as a fertiliser rather than polluting waters.

3. You

Become as vegetarian/vegan as you possibly can. “Eat meat, but less often — make it special,” Mark Sutton, lead author of a U.N. Environment Programme 2013 study on meat consumption, said. “Portion size is key. Many portions are too big, more than you want to eat. Think about a change of culture that says, ‘I like the taste, but I don’t need so much of it.’”

I want to leave you with something very important that I have learnt through this journey with you.

Understand that you, as a consumer, have a level of social responsibility. What you spend your money on is the key to change (by altering demand, it can alter supply).

Mooney says "If they are informed that they do have choices to help build a  more sustainable and equitable world, they can make better choices."

Finally, a quick reminder of the serious extent of animals slaughtered just for the plate on your table.



You've been such amazing readers every Monday, I really hope you're able to join my Meatless Mondays, whether I have a new post every Monday or not! To make me very happy, please sign the Meatless Monday pledge!!



No comments:

Post a Comment